Author : Radhika R 1
Date of Publication :18th January 2018
Abstract: Wireless sensor networks fundamentally comprise of low-cost sensor nodes which gather data from the environment and convey them to a sink, where they will be subsequently processed. As sensor nodes are severely power-constrained, the key concern is how to conserve the nodes energy so that network lifetime can be prolonged significantly.Efficient data collection schemes are crucial in effectively utilizing the available energy. This paper defines various techniques of data collection that are adopted in wireless sensor networks. The data collection schemes are broadly classified into two major classes: one approach which uses the static sink for data collection and the other approach which uses the mobile sink for data collection. Various techniques that are adopted in both the schemes are defined.
- I.F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, E. Cayirci, Wireless sensor networks: a survey, Elsevier Science,2002
- Neethu M. Nair, A. Felix Arokya Jose, Survey on Data Collection Methods in Wireless Sensor Networks, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT),2013
- Xiaobing Wu, Guihai Chen, Dual-Sink: Using Mobile and Static Sinks for Lifetime Improvement in Wireless Sensor Networks,International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks,2007
- Dattatray S. Waghole, Vivek S. Deshpande,Techniques of Data Collection with Mobile & Static Sinks in WSN’s: A Survey, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 4, Issue 10, October-2013.
- Mohammadreza Eslaminejad,Shukor Abd Razak, Fundamental Lifetime Mechanisms in Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey and Open Issues, Sensors 2012.
- Abdul Wahid Ali, Parmanand, Energy Efficieny in routing protocol and data collection approaches for WSN :A Survey, International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation,2015.
- Wendi B. Heinzelman, Anantha P. Chandrakasan,Hari Balakrishnan, An Application-Specific Protocol Architecture for Wireless Microsensor Networks, IEEE transactions on wireless communications,2002.
- Stephanie Lmdsey and Cauligi S. Raghavendra, PEGASIS: Power-Efficient Gathering in Sensor Information Systems, Aerospace Conference Proceedings, 2002. IEEE, Volume: 3
- Seifemichael B. Amsalu, Wondimu K. Zegeyey, Dereje Hailemariamz, Yacob Astatkey,Farzad Moazzami, Energy Efficient Grid Clustering Hierarchy (GCH) Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE Annual Ubiquitous Computing,Electronics and mobile Communications Coference,2016.
- Shah, R. C, Sumit Roy, Sushant Jain, Waylon Brunette (2003). Data mules: Modeling and analysis of a three-tier architecture for sparse sensor networks. Ad Hoc Networks, 1(2), 215–233
- Yun,Y., & Xia, Y. (2010).Maximizing the lifetime of wireless sensor networks with mobile sink in delaytolerant applications. IEEE Transaction on Mobile, Computing, 9(9), 1308–1318.
- Xing G, Li, M., Wang T, Jia, W, & Huang J. (2012). Efficient rendezvous algorithms for mobility enabled wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 11(1), 47–60
- Wang Y-C,Peng W.-C., & Tseng Y-C. (2010). Energy-balanced dispatch of mobile sensors in a hybrid wireless sensor network. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 12,1836–1850.
- Gu, Y, Ji Y,Li J(2013). ESWC: Efficient scheduling for the mobile sink in wireless sensor networks with delay constraint. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 24(7), 1310–1320.
- Zhao, M., Ma, M., & Yang, Y. (2010). Efficient data gathering with mobile collectors and spacedivision multiple access technique in wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Computers,60(3), 400–417.
- Stefano Basagni • Alessio Carosi ,Emanuel Melachrinoudis,Chiara Petrioli ,Z. Maria Wang, Controlled sink mobility for prolonging wireless sensor networks lifetime.Wireless Networks, Springer science,2008.
- Shi, Y., & Hou, Y. T. (2008). Theoretical results on base station movement problem for sensor network. In The 27th conference on computer communications. IEEE INFOCOM..
- Xing, G., Wang, T., Xie, Z., & Jia, W. (2008). Rendezvous planning in wireless sensor networks with mobile elements. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 7(11), 1–14.
- Tashtarian, F., Yaghmaee Moghaddam, M. H., Sohraby, K., & Effati, S. (2014).On maximizing the lifetime of wireless sensor networks in event-driven applications with mobile sinks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 64(7), 3177–3189.
- Konstantopoulos C, Pantziou G, Gavalas D., Mpitziopoulos, A, & Mamalis, B. (2012). A rendezvousbased approach enabling energy-efficient sensory data collection with mobile sinks. IEEE Transaction Parallel Distributed System, 23, 809–817.
- Liang W, Luo J, & Xu X. (2010). Prolonging network lifetime via a controlled mobile sink in wireless sensor networks. In Proc. of Globecom’10, IEEE.
- Pan J, Cai L, Hou Y. T, Shi Y, & Shen S. X. (2005). Optimal base-station locations in two-tiered wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing, 4(5), 458–473.
- Ye, F., Luo, H., Cheng, J., Lu, S., & Zhang, L. (Sep 2002). A two-tier data dissemination model for large-scale wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of ACM the 8th annual international conference on mobile computing and networking, ser. MobiCom’02 (pp. 148–159). Atlanta, Georgia.
- Liu, X., Member, S., & Zhao, H. (2013). SinkTrail: A proactive data reporting protocol for wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 62(1), 151–162
- Neng-Chvng Wang, Yung-Kuei, Chiang,YoungLong Chen, A Power efficient data dissemination scheme for wireless Sensor networks with mobile sinks. International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), 2012
- Farzad Tashtarian, Mohammad HosseinYaghmaee Moghaddam, Sohrab Effati, Energy Efficient Data Gathering Algorithm in Hierarchical Wireless Sensor Networks with Mobile Sink,International eConference on Computer and Knowledge Engineering (ICCKE), October 2012.
- K.Vijayalakshmi, Dr.J.Martin Leo Manickam, Mobisink- Intelligent Mobility Pattern based Routing Protocol for Efficient Data Gathering in Large Scale Wireless Sensor Networks, International Conference on Control, Instrumentation, Communication and Computational Technologies (ICCICCT),2016
- Sachin Gopal V, Dr. Binu G.S, Mobile Anchor Path Planning In Wireless Sensor Networks, International Symposium on Advanced Computing and Communication (ISACC),2015.
- Anagha k, Dr.Binu GS, Rendezvous point based energy efficient data collection method for wireless sensor network, International Conference on Control, Communication & Computing India (ICCC),November 2015