Author : Bhawna Jyoti 1
Date of Publication :19th July 2019
Abstract: In Modern era, thousands of software are released during every month. Testing and validation of software is an important activity which enhances the quality of software under test. Software testing is very expensive activity in the software development life cycle and is used to evaluate the quality of the software. Regression testing is an activity which ensures that changes to the existing software has not affected the normal functioning of software. This paper presents a review on regression testing tools used in test case suite reduction techniques and describes their strengths and weaknesses. We analyses and categorizes current reduction tools used by research community and identifying future research opportunities in this field.
- X. Zhang , Gu, Q., Chen, X., J. Qi and D. Chen, “A study of relative redundancy in test-suite reduction while retaining or improving fault-localization effectiveness,” in Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'10), Switzerland: ACM, 2229-2236, 2010
- Singh, Rajvir and Mamta Santosh, “Test case Minimisation techniques: a review,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, vol 2, no. 12, 2013.
- S. U. R. Khan and A. Nadeem, “TestFilter : A Statement Coverage based Test case Reduction Technique,” in Proceedings of international Multitopic Conference, IEEE, Dec 2006.
- D. Li, Y. Jin, C. Sahin, J. Clause,& W.G. Halfond, “Integrated energy-directed test suite optimization,” Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA'14), 339-350, 2014.
- J. H. Andrews, S. Haldar, Y. Lei and F. C. H. Li, “Tool support for randomized unit testing,” Proceedings of the First ACM International Workshop on Random Testing, pp. 36-45,2006.
- A G. Rothermel, M. J. Harrold, J. Ostrin and C. Hong, “An Empirical Study of the Effects of Minimization on the Fault Detection Capabilities of Test Suites,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Maintenance, Washington, D.C., November, 1998.
- D. Hao, L. Zhang, “On demand test suit reduction,” ICSE, 2012
- T. Xie, J. Zhao, D. Marinov and D. Notkin, “Detecting Redundant Unit Tests for AspectJ Programs,” Technical Report , UW-CSE-04-10-03,October 2004.
- A. B. Taha, S.M. Thebaut, S.S. Liu, “An Approach to software fault localization and revalidation based on incremental data flow analysis,” Proceedings of the international Computer Software and Applications Conference, IEEE Computer Society Press,1989,527-584.
- Y. Lei and J. H. Andrews, “Minimization of Randomized Unit Test Cases,” Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, 2005.
- S. U. R .Khan, S. P. Lee, R .W. Ahmad, A. Akhunzada and V. Chang, “A Survey on Test Suite Reduction Frameworks and Tools,” International Journal of Information Management, vol. 36 ,no. 6, pp. 963-975, 2016.
- J. Campos, A. Riboira, A. Perez and R. Abreu, “GZoltar: An Eclipse Plug-In for Testing and Debugging,” Proceedings of the 27th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering,2012.
- M. Burger and A. Zellar, “Minimizing reproduction of software failures,” in Proceedings of the 2011 ACM International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA'11), pp. 221-231, 2011.
- H. Jaygarl, Kai-Shin Lu, C. K. Chang, “GenRed: A Tool for Generating and Reducing Object-Oriented Test Cases,” in IEEE 34th Annual Computer Software and applications Conference, Dec 2010.
- H. Hsu, A. Arso, “MINTS: A general framework and tool,” IEEE publications, in Proceedings of the 31st IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE'09) pp. 419-429, 2019.
- J. R. Horgan and S. London, “A data flow coverage testing tool for C,” Proceedings of the Second IEEE Symposium on Assessment of Quality Software Development Tools, pp. 2-10, 1992.
- C. Pacheco, and M. D Ernst, “Randoop : feedback-directed random testing for Java,” Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Object-Oriented Programming Systems and Applications Companion, pp. 815-816, 2007
- F. Dadeau, Y. Ledru, L. D. Bousquet, “Directed random reduction of combinatorial test suites,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Random Testing: co-located with the 22nd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE'07), ACM, pp.18-25, 2007.
- T. Xie, D. Marinov, & D. Notkin, “Rostra: A framework for detecting redundant object-oriented unit tests,” in Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE'04), pp. 196-205, 2004
- G. Woo, H. S. Chae and H. Jang, “An intermediate representation approach to reducing test suites for retargeted compilers,” In Reliable Software Technologies–Ada Europe, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2007.
- S. Wang, S. Ali and A. Gotlieb, “Cost-effective test suite minimization in product lines using search techniques,” Journal of Systems and Software, 103, 370- 391, 2015.
- Y. Huang, L. Lu , “A methodology for test suit reduction in user-session-based testing,” in IEEE Fifth International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theories and Applications, pp. 23-26 Sept. 2010.
- P. Velmurugan, R. P. Mohapatra, “Effective Test Case Minimization and Fault Detection Capability Using Multiple Coverage Technique,” in International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, ISSN 0973-4562, vol 11, no 8, pp 5389-5394, 2016
- H. S. Chae, G. Woo, T. Y. Kim, J. H. Bae,& W. Y. KIM, “An automated approach to reducing test suites for testing retargeted C compilers for embedded systems,” in Journal of Systems and Software, pp. 2053-2064, 2011.
- X. Wang, S. Jiang, P. Gao, X. Ju, R. Wang, Y. Zhang, “Distance-based Test-Suite Reduction for Efficient Testing-based Fault Localization”, International Conference on Software Analysis, Testing and Evolution,2016.
- S. Sampath, S. Sprenkle, E. Gibson, L. Pollock and A. S. Greenwald, “Applying concept analysis to usersession-based testing of web applications,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol 33, pp. 643-658, 2007.
- S. Yoo and M. Harman, “Regression Testing Minimisation, Selection and Prioritization: A Survey,” in Software testing verification and reliability, 2007.
- S. Sampath , R. C. Bryce , S. Jain and S. Manchester, “A tool for combination-based prioritization and reduction of user-session-based test suites,” Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM'11), pp. 574-577, 2011.
- S. Yoo and M. Harman, “Pareto efficient multiobjective test case selection,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA'07), ACM, pp. 140-150,2007.
- J. M. Kauffman and G. M. Kaphammer, “ A framework to support research in and encourage industrial adoption of regression testing techniques,” in Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation (ICST'12), pp. 907- 908, 2012