Author : Siddaraju N 1
Date of Publication :12th August 2021
Abstract: In recent years, aluminium-based metal matrix composites (MMC) have become trendy in many aerospace and automotive applications due to their light weight and high strength to weight ratio. Aluminium 6061 (Al6061) is used as a matrix material because of its excellent mechanical properties, good formability and a wide range of industrial applications. In this study, Al6061 alloy reinforced with graphene hydroxyl with various weight percentage of as-cast (0 wt%), 0.5 wt%, and 1 wt% and the specimen are synthesized by stir cast process and the test samples are prepared according to ASTM test standards. The prepared specimen are subjected to heat-treatment in a muffle furnace at 530 °C for 2 hours, then cooled with oil and then artificially aged at 170 °C for 4 hours, air-cooled to room temperature. Another set of specimen was heat treated (annealed) at a temperature of 350°C for 2 hours. Then they allowed for dry cooling with sand and then artificially aged at 170 °C for 4 hours, air-cooled to room temperature. Wear characteristics are analyzed for dry run on a hard disc of EN-32 ground disc and the results are analyzed. The results of heat treated specimen are compared with an untreated sample results and the variations are compared. The results depicted that the wear properties of the composite material are improved in heat treated specimen.
- Srinivasa M R,Y S Rammohan, Karthik U N, Sadashiva M “Analysis on wear properties of Graphene Hydroxyl Reinforced Aluminum Composites”, ISSN-2394-5125, Volume-7,ISSUE-17,2020
- V Nikhil Kumar Reddy, R Balaji, T Charan Kumar, U Sai Bharath Reddy, Lakshmi Narayan K S “Investigation of Mechanical Properties and Wear Behavior of Al 2024 Matrix Reinforced with Si3N4 and Graphene”, ISSN 2229-5518, Volume-11, ISSUE-6, June-2020.
- B.Sai Jagadish “Synthesis and Characterization of Aluminium 2024 and Graphene Metal Matrix Composites by Powder Metallurgy Means”, SSRG – IJME, Volume 2 ISSUE 7, July 2015
- A. Radha,K.R.Vijayakumar “An investigation of mechanical and wear properties of AA6061reinforced with silicon carbide and graphene nano-particles particulatecomposites”, materialstoday:Proceedings32247–2253, 2016
- Prashantha Kumar H.G, Anthony Xavior. M “Effect of graphene addition on flexural properties of al 6061 nano-composites”, Materials Today: Proceedings 4, 8127–8133, 2017.
- Dattatri,Dr.KMohamedKaleemulla “Effect of heat treatment on mechanical properties ofaluminium7075alloyreinforcedwithsiliconcarbideand alumina”, ISSN:2395-0056, Volume-06,ISSUE07,2019.
- D.Ramesh,R.P.Swamy,T.K.Chandrashekar“RoleofHeat TreatmentonAl6061FritParticulateComposites”,Journalo fMineralsMaterialsCharacterization&Engineering,Vol.1 1,No.4, 2012.
- K.R.Padmavathi, R. Ramakrishnan “Wear Studies on the Heat Treated AL6061-µsic and AL6061-NSIC Metal Matrix Composites”, PP. 241-247, Volume-10, ISSUE-06, June 2019.